Copy Cat Cheesecake Factory Egg Rolls:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind pulp*
- 2/3 cup chopped cashews
- 1 pinch powdered saffron
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 green onions
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, & diced***
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3 egg roll wraps (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Prepare the dipping sauce by combining the cashews, cilantro, garlic, green onions, sugar, black pepper and cumin in a food processor. Blend with short burst as not to turn the cashews into butter, but enough to chop them down into pieces the size of rice.
- Stir together vinegars, tamarind, honey, and saffron in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave for 1 minute. Stir until tamarind is dissolved.
- Pour the tamarind mixture into the food processor with the cashew mixture and combine well using shorts bursts again.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and stir in oil by hand.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Stir together the tomatoes, onion, 1 teaspoon cilantro, and salt.
- Gently add the diced avocado being sure not to mash it into the mixture.
STOP HERE AND DECIDE IF YOU WANT TO FRY THE EGG ROLL S OR SERVE IN THE AVOCADO SHELLS!
Directions for the original egg roll recipe:
- Distribute filling evenly onto center of each egg roll wrapper.
- Position a wrapper so that a corner is pointing toward you; fold the bottom corner up, 1/4 of the way over the filling.
- Brush remaining corners and edges of the wrapper with egg, roll up from side to side, fold top corner over all and press to seal.
- Repeat with remaining wrappers.
- Continue by deep-frying the egg rolls in 375 degree oil for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown.
- Drain on brown paper towels or a clean dishcloth.
- Slice egg rolls diagonally and serve with the dipping sauce.
Directions for my grilled low fat version:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Evenly scoop avocado mixture into the avocado shells.
- Bake the stuffed avocados in their shells on a cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes or until hot throughout.
- Serve avocado halves with dipping sauce.
* Tamarind pulp is found in Asian grocery stores. I made this the first time without it and it tasted just fine. I substituted tamarind jam when I made them again and didn't notice a difference. The sauce really good either way and what makes these extra delicious!*
**This recipe make a lot of sauce and more than enough if you double the egg roll recipe. I would hold off on doubling the sauce unless you insist on drowning your egg rolls.**
***Half the avocados and save the peels to fill with the avocado mixture for a lighter version of this recipe.***