June 17, 2012

Too Good not to Include

I know that this is a blog created for home improvement and tips but, now that my island is done, I've been cooking up a storm!  I've also been doing a purification cleanse via Standard Process.  Without going too much into the cleanse right now, let me just tell you that I feel amazing, I've never hungry, always satisfied and I've lost a pound a day without even trying.  It's also allowed me to get really creative with the already nutritious meals I prepare for my family. I wanted to share this recipe because I love the Cheesecake Factory and this is my take on one of my absolute favorite appetizers there.



Copy Cat Cheesecake Factory Egg Rolls:
Dipping Sauce:

  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 4 teaspoons white vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon tamarind pulp*
  • 2/3 cup chopped cashews
  • 1 pinch powdered saffron
  • 2/3 cup fresh cilantro
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 2 green onions
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
Egg Rolls:
  • 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, & diced***
  • 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon minced red onion
  • 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1 pinch sea salt
  • 3 egg roll wraps (optional)
  • 1 egg, beaten
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Prepare the dipping sauce by combining the cashews, cilantro, garlic, green onions, sugar, black pepper and cumin in a food processor.  Blend with short burst as not to turn the cashews into butter, but enough to chop them down into pieces the size of rice. 
  2. Stir together vinegars, tamarind, honey, and saffron in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave for 1 minute. Stir until tamarind is dissolved.
  3. Pour the tamarind mixture into the food processor with the cashew mixture and combine well using shorts bursts again.
  4. Pour mixture into a bowl and stir in oil by hand.
  5. Refrigerate until ready to use.
  6. Stir together the  tomatoes, onion, 1 teaspoon cilantro, and salt.
  7. Gently add the diced avocado being sure not to mash it into the mixture.
STOP HERE AND DECIDE IF YOU WANT TO FRY THE EGG ROLL S OR SERVE IN THE AVOCADO SHELLS!
Directions for the original egg roll recipe:
  1. Distribute filling evenly onto center of each egg roll wrapper.
  2. Position a wrapper so that a corner is pointing toward you; fold the bottom corner up, 1/4 of the way over the filling.
  3. Brush remaining corners and edges of the wrapper with egg, roll up from side to side, fold top corner over all and press to seal.
  4. Repeat with remaining wrappers.
  5. Continue by deep-frying the egg rolls in 375 degree oil for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown.
  6. Drain on brown paper towels or a clean dishcloth.
  7. Slice egg rolls diagonally and serve with the dipping sauce.
Directions for my grilled low fat version:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Evenly scoop avocado mixture into the avocado shells.
  3. Bake the stuffed avocados in their shells on a cookie sheet for 10-15 minutes or until hot throughout.
  4. Serve avocado halves with dipping sauce.
* Tamarind pulp is found in Asian grocery stores. I made this the first time without it and it tasted just fine. I substituted tamarind jam when I made them again and didn't notice a difference.  The sauce really  good either way and what makes these extra delicious!*

**This recipe make a lot of sauce and more than enough if you double the egg roll recipe.  I would hold off on doubling the sauce unless you insist on drowning your egg rolls.**

***Half the avocados and save the peels to fill with the avocado mixture for a lighter version of this recipe.***

No comments:

Post a Comment