I've mentioned on my family blog how I love turning old clothes into new clothes so why not do that with furniture? While packing up the house, I was staring at H's bed and decided I didn't like it anymore. We bought the IKEA Malm bed off craigslist when we lived in GA because we were desperate to own a bed and the space we had was really tiny. Jeremy said No so reluctantly, I took the bed apart dreading to rebuild it in the new house.
That was until I got the newest edition of Pottery Barn Kids and came across the prettiest bed. In case you didn't know, I'm a sucker for nail head trim and crystal chandeliers. This bed was perfect for my vision and then I got to brainstorming...
I had J run to the hardware store for me after I spent the night with a glass of wine, a box top, pen and my conversion calculator. I had a queen sized bed so I needed some plywood 66.5" long and 18" high. I also need lots of screw, staples for my gun and some L-brackets. Meanwhile, I ran to the fabric store and bought 4.75 yards of fabric a 5 yards of 2" batting and some silver nail head trim.
Here's what I did:
1) I attached 4 L-brackets to the plywood
2) Then I screwed the plywood to the headboard
3)I carefully laid the headboard down being attentive to the brackets making sure not to bend them. I took some left over plywood and placed it on the front of the headboard to secure it a little better.
4)Once that was screwed in place, I cut the 2" batting to fit the headboard and secured it with a few staples so it didn't move while I measured the rest of the batting to fit
5)I attached a second row of batting, making sure to cut out a space for the side rails to attach later
6)Next, I took my fabric a stapled it to the bottom of the headboard where it would be covered by the mattress. I proceeded to staple the fabric as I pulled it tightly to get a nice even look
7)I carefully folded up the corners like a present and stapled them
8)Then I nailed the trim in place
9) I did the same thing with the foot board
10)I also covered the side rails but did not use batting. Instead, I had to be careful getting under the slight ledge on the side.
PRESTO!!! My $2000 pottery barn bed 4 hours and a blister later for $100!
Stay tuned to see the bed in the room with bedding once paint dries in the room here in a few days!